Shaved Brussels Sprout & Kale Salad
I could eat an entire bowl of Brussels sprouts sauteed with some bacon. Alright fine, I could eat a bowl of just about anything cooked with bacon. But after the Thanksgiving holiday, I was craving something that would make me feel like I was making amends for all those extra helpings of mashed potatoes. I decided to shred up some leftover raw Brussels sprouts I had as the base to this very seasonal salad.
I say seasonal because in addition to kale, I threw in dried cranberries and chopped walnuts for some texture and finished it with some grated Parmesan for a hit of saltiness.
As for the dressing, I kept things simple with an olive oil base, adding lemon for brightness and Dijon mustard for tang. This salad is so flavorful you won't even notice there isn't any bacon.
Recipe: Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad with Kale, Cranberries & Walnuts
- 20 Brussels Sprouts
- 2 cups Kale, chopped without stems
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup walnut pieces
- 1/4 up grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cut off the ends of the Brussels sprouts and remove any bad outer leaves.
- Thinly slice to shred the cabbage and add to a large bowl with the kale.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together separately and then add to the bowl with the sprouts and kale so that everything is coated.
- Add the dried cranberries and walnuts and toss.
- Finish with the grated Parmesan and enjoy.